Ever wondered why some items are allowed in your Skip Bin while others are not? Why a plastic bottle is allowed but a plastic fork is not?
The main reasons why items are deemed unacceptable are the following:
1. The item can be dangerous to sort or even may be inefficient. Items from your curbside Skip Bin are sorted at a local recovery facility. At the recovery facility, items are first sorted by the hands of employees. That is why it is important that dangerous and sharp items like syringes, forks, knives never make their way into curbside bins.
Next, to sort items accepted in the single-stream program they pass through various machines that were built specifically for the purpose. When other items like plastic bags, hazardous chemicals or large pieces of metal can cause costly breakdowns, or worse, fires and employee injuries if they make their way through the machines.
2. There is no reason to collect an item if there is no market for it. If the paper mills do not accept used paper for reuse there would be no practical reason to collect paper in our recycling bins.
3. Another reason an item may not be accepted in the recycling bin is because it can contaminate or devalue other recyclables. For example, a bin filled with food will contaminate newspaper that is in the same bin, making it useless to paper mills.
What You Should Never Dump in a Skip Bin?
Here is a list of those items that should be never placed in your Skip Bin:
1. Syringes or Needles can cause significant health risks to workers on the sorting line. Medical waste should only be disposed of at a medical facility properly.
2. Plastic Bags destroy sorting machinery causing significant downtime.
3. Scrap Metal and Appliances are dangerous because they are way too large for sorting equipment.
4. Electronics contain valuable yet harmful materials. They must be taken to a certified recycler only and are banned from both the trash and recycling bin.
5. Any plastic container that holds chemical like motor oil or antifreeze is dangerous to employees in the recycling facility and can cause fires.
6. Food waste and its residue can rot and contaminate recyclables and devalue them.
7. Styrofoam has no viable market.
8. Mirrors, light bulbs, vases, Pyrex, window glass, cups, dishware, and shelving are treated with chemicals different than glass bottles and may contain mercury. Therefore, must be disposed of safely.
9. Any item that can get tangled around equipment like ropes and hoses can greatly disrupt the sorting system or break equipment.
South East Bin Hire encourages residents to refer to our guidelines or just ask by calling us at. We are always happy to sort out your trash-issues.